BOTOX® / DYSPORT® / XEOMIN®
What is it?
Botox®/Dysport®/Xeomin® are names for a type of botulinum toxin. The word “toxin” sounds scary, but the amount we use is so small that we can use it safely. This “toxin” stops our nerves from telling our muscles to contract, reducing the lines of facial expression.
Why do we use it?
As our muscles contract, our skin begins to form wrinkles that deepen after years of repeated use (think of the area between your eyebrows). Administering this toxin will temporarily stop the muscles from contracting. When this occurs, it will decrease the appearance of wrinkles and allow the body to begin repairing the wrinkled skin.
Does it hurt?
We use a tiny needle to administer the toxin, which makes the procedure very tolerable.
Is there any down time?
No, but we do ask you to refrain from vigorous exercise during the day of treatment.
How long does it last?
The treatment can last 3-5 months.
What are the risks or side effects?
This is a safe procedure, but risks and side effects are possible. For first-time patients, 10-15% can get a headache that can last about a week. This headache can be treated with NSAIDs and usually does not occur with subsequent treatments. You could also experience a heavy feeling of the eyebrows, flatter eyebrows, drooping of the eyelid or lips, or a feeling of weakness in the muscles. We will discuss the treatment, risks and possible side effects in detail during your visit.